Sunday, November 2, 2008

Criss-Crossing Germany/Some Bad news...

Mothers Of Invention and Keith Emerson

Today is a bittersweet day....

Jimmy Carl Black left this earth

Keith Emerson celebrated his 64th year.



Keith did a version of LUMPY GRAVY, that made me happy to listen to today...celebrating both he and Jimmy Carl Black era of Zappa-musik.

I found out last night that the great Jimmy Carl Black has died, lost his long battle with leukemia and cancer....

What a great guy, a sweetheart to the end. I didn't know him well but he always stayed in touch and sent helloes my way thru common friends. I still remember the day I met him, Summer of 2000, it was a big Zappa festival in the middle of Illinois...ill planned -- hardly anyone showed up for the size and scope of the event...he and the other Mothers walked into the cafeteria..amazing!! Roy Estrada, Bunk Gardner, Don Preston... to meet them all at once ..still blows me away. They knew all about P/O and we hugged, shook hands, Jimmy had that wide perma-grin...it was amazing for a young Zappa freak....

We all went in and had a meal, it was great. Somewhere I still have un-developed pictures from that day. Remember developing film ?? Another things that has slipped into the past....now, like Jimmy.

Project/Object played at the fest, as did the Grandmothers...and Banned From Utopia with all the 70s/80s guys..unreal!! it was the first time Ray White sat in with us.. I think JCB sat in that day as well - doing Lonesome Cowboy Burt with us...

My fondest memory is -- at some point I was hanging out with the Granmothers....in their rickety mobile home they were touring in.....and you could hear Banned From Utopia was taking the stage.

So I had to literally pick between continuing to hang out with -- cmon!! the MOTHERS.... with Jimmy was rolling a joint the size of my finger...or see the Banned From Utopia, who I hadn;t seen live in 5 years!


Um..I opted for the joint with the 60-something year old legends. THEN i went out and saw the 40 and 50-something yr old legends!


We met Jimmy again in 2002 at the GREATEST Zappanale..the one where the statue was unveiled... the mayor (kapellmesister??) came and did a speech and promoted the whole thing..Ike Willis..Mike Keneally..Scott Thunes...Candy Zappa and Bobby Zappa were there....the Grandmothers...and I had the honor of playing the set with them - Don Preston, Bunk, Napoleon, Bob Harris, Roy Estrada..and Jimmy Carl Black on a couple numbers....with Miss Pamela dancing and Bobby And Candy Zappa watching a few feet from me...I was terrified for the 1st couple songs.. but it remains my pinnacle Zappa memory, along with taking Frank a sign and participating in his show for 30 seconds..

Jimmy - R.I.P !!!

Keith -Happy Birthday..play one for Jimmy!!

1 comment:

John Grubb said...

RIP Jimmy!!
thanks for sharing your memories...
there's a great video of him on you tube from the early 80s.

it's a news story about how he works at a video store and zappa called him up out of the blue one day and got him to sing "harder than your husband". So awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4aDI2x7o1B0

Adios. Adios, my little darlin'